We all know that sugary junk food isn’t going to do us any favors for our waistlines, but eating lots of sugar will also rot your teeth and lead to tooth decay. At Willoughby Dental Centre in Langley, BC, we will ensure your teeth feel healthy and can give you strategies to prevent tooth decay.
Let us break it down for you: sugar that lives in the mouth gets devoured by bacteria which create acids that break down your tooth enamel. This leads not only to decay but to other problems, including gingivitis.
Because we live in such a fast-paced culture, it’s common to neglect a balanced diet in favor of an unhealthy one made up of convenient foods with high-sugar content. It is obvious that this type of lifestyle is detrimental to not only people’s oral health, but to their overall well-being.
Experts say that because we live in such a stressful society, fast food is a quick and easy fix for most people.
So what can you do to prevent tooth decay and lead a healthy lifestyle? Staying away from fast food and foods high in sugar is the obvious answer, but there are other things you can do as well.
Ways to Keep Tooth Decay At Bay:
- Brush your teeth at least two times per day with a toothpaste that contains fluoride. It is better if you brush after eating and before you go to sleep.
- Floss your teeth with dental floss or interdental cleaners.
- Check with a dentist at Willoughby Dental about using supplemental fluoride, a product which can make your teeth stronger.
- Ask us about dental sealants, so we can stop your teeth from decaying.
- Drinking water is important, and drinking fluoridated water every day will help protect your children’s teeth from decaying.
Be sure to book an appointment with an oral health expert at Willoughby Dental in Langley for your regular dental check-up.